We are pleased to be offering our 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training Retreat this summer. This Yoga Alliance Internationally accredited teacher training program takes place in Kithira Greece. Kithira was chosen as the site of our immersion as it has long been an island of pilgrimages. Teacher training in a sense is a pilgrimage, a journey into the self that enables you to come back into the world with greater strength, clarity, patience and a deeper sense of peace.
In ancient times, Kithira was the foremost place of worship of the goddess Aphrodite, goddess of spiritual and romantic love. In more modern times, pilgrims journey to the Monastery at Myrtidia. This monastery was built in honour of the “Madonna of the Myrtle bushes” to whom many miracles have been attributed. Others pilgrimage to Kithira’s stunning coastline to simply meditate on the beauty of the sea and swim in its cleansing waters.
Coming to Kythira is an opportunity to leave the modern world behind and slow time down. It is an island of great natural, rugged beauty and an ideal destination for your pilgrimage into the world of yoga.
During your stay on Kythira you will be living in a picturesque fishing village, amongst locals. Experience the simplicity of village life free of the distractions of the modern world.
Anemes is an immaculate, family run boutique hotel, facing the sea in the peaceful village of Avelmonas. Each room has its own patio-veranda with stunning views of Paleopoli beach, fabled to be the birthplace of Aphrodite. Your room contains a kitchenette for personal use and is air conditioned. One and two bedroom studio apartments are available. Room selection is based on availability at time of booking.
In addition to living in a breathtakingly beautiful seaside village, your course costs include all course instruction, a comprehensive electronic 500 page manual, transfers to and from the Kithira airport, opening and closing dinners, and weekly excursions that include everything from boat tours to visiting sacred sites of worship on the island.
Important Flight Information
There is only one flight daily from Athens Greece to Kithira. Flight space is limited and flights must be booked well in advance.
**Your registration will not be considered complete until your Athens-Kithira return ticket has been booked on the dates specified. Detailed flight information will be provided to you upon inquiry.
Learn to teach safely, effectively and with confidence. The asana portion of our 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training program includes:
- detailed study of all yoga postures including modifications of poses and appropriate use of props
- physical and energetic benefits of postures
- hands on adjustments and enhancements
- learning to see and understand bodies in terms of proper alignment
- creating a class: learn the principles of sequencing and how to create a theme for your class
- verbalizing an asana: learn to give clear, simple instructions through choice of appropriate verbal cues and body language
- demonstrating asana
- key points for teaching beginners
- teaching to special groups such as prenatal yoga, seniors, kids…
- student teacher relationship
- ethics of a yoga teacher
Multiple opportunities to practice teaching will be given. At Semperviva we create a supportive, nurturing community of teachers to help you apply what you have learned right away. You will receive immediate feedback from your teachers to help you refine your teaching skills and feel at ease in front of a class. We are here to support you every step of the way.
Learn to teach a variety of meditation techniques to focus and quiet the mind.
Daily meditation and journaling is a requirement of this 200 hour yoga course. Meditation teaches us to stop identifying with the body, the mind, and its ceaseless thoughts. When this happens, then there is yoga, which is identification with the true Self, Samadhi, happiness, bliss.
Prana is the life force or vital energy. Pranayama is a way of building and directing this vital energy.
- Learn to teach powerful breath (pranayama) techniques such as ujayi, kapalabhati, nadi sodhana and kumbhaka
- Understand the bandhas or energy locks that direct prana (vital life force)
- Western anatomy and physiology will be studied, including the circulatory system, lymphatic system, respiratory system, digestive system, endocrine system, nervous system, musculo-skeletal system, the spine, immune system, and genito-urinary system
- understand the physical effects of yoga on the body
- learn how to avoid injury in key areas, and how to work with basic injuries
- learn the energetic effects of yoga on the body
- prana, what it is and techniques that direct prana
- kundalini energy and it’s infinite potential
- the chakra system
- the vayus
Yogic History and Philosophy
- study Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and how these teachings provide a very real model that can be applied to daily life
- study of the Bhagavad Gita
- yoga’s journey to the West and the most influential yogis of our time
- accommodation on the island
- course instruction daily
- comprehensive electronic 500 page manual
- transfer to and from the Kythira airport
- shared car to explore the island freely
- weekly excursions to sacred sites, monasteries, and breathtaking beaches
- opening and closing dinners
- 200 hour Yoga Alliance Certification on successful completion of the course, allowing you to teach yoga as a certified teacher globally.
A copy of valid medical insurance covering the dates of the program International driver’s licence is required. Only standard vehicles are available. Automatic cars may possibly be secured if adequate advance notice is given.
$500 Registration Fee is required to reserve your place. Full payment is required no later than 60 days prior to the course start date.