A 85-hour complete Pre-natal Certification Course bringing a holistic and spiritual approach to birthing.
When it comes to pregnancy and childbirth, nothing can prepare a woman’s body, mind and spirit better than pregnancy yoga. Yoga is already well-known for reducing stress and toning the body, but for an expecting mother it can do so much more.
For the last 20 years, The Khalsa Way®, through time and experience, has researched and perfected the technology and application of pregnancy yoga.
Some of the benefits of the Khalsa Way are:
- Increased endurance, muscle tone & strength (very important in labor and birth);
- Less stress and more balanced hormones which reduces symptoms like morning sickness and allows better nutritional absorption for mother and baby;
- Breath control and improved nervous system which calms a woman’s mind and allows better focus, endurance and pain management;
- A deeper and more meaningful spiritual connection between self and between mother and child during pregnancy, labor and parenting.
The Khalsa Way® Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training Course offers the skills to teach prenatal yoga and meditation, recalling the ancient ways of birthing and mothering handed down to us through the ages. These practices lead a new mother to the awareness that she truly knows within herself how to bring her baby forth. The Khalsa Way teaches a woman to lift the blocks of fear, doubt and old conditioning out of her pregnancy, her birth and her life. Each week-long Khalsa Way® course brings a holistic approach to birthing, exploring the emotional, physical, and spiritual journey to a healthy, conscious, and joyous
pregnancy, childbirth and motherhood.
The Khalsa Way® training is designed for midwives, doulas, doctors, health and childbirth educators, nurses, students of all yoga disciplines, and yoga teachers. We also welcome pregnant mothers and those wanting to become pregnant – in other words, any and all women! As we educate women to become conscious mothers, we create a more conscious, loving and peaceful world.
Kundalini Yoga and meditation, as taught by Yogi Bhajan, are the cornerstones of this course. All aspects of pregnancy are covered as we learn:
- Yoga postures specifically tailored for strengthening and relaxing the rapidly changing body of a pregnant woman
- Breathing and meditation techniques
- Ancient ways of birthing and mothering handed down through the ages, that can help lift fears, doubts, and old conditioning; and
- The latest innovations in the fields of birthing and childcare, nutrition, doula care, massage, and nursing.
The training is a wonderful opportunity to share experiences with other women in the fields of childbirth and parenting. You will create a network of new friends and co-teachers throughout the world. We have over 300 women graduated of The Khalsa Way® teaching Prenatal Yoga throughout the world.
About Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa (NYC & LA)
Gurmukh is the co-founder and co-director of Golden Bridge Nite Moon, Los Angeles’ and New York City’s premier center for the study and practice of Kundalini Yoga and Meditation. Since being baptized 42 years ago with the Sikh spiritual name that means “One who helps people across the world ocean,” Gurmukh has dedicated her life to fulfilling her namesake. For more than four decades, students in Los Angeles and from around the world have sought out her classes in Kundalini Yoga, Meditation, and Pre- and Post-Natal care. She and Gurushabd have been married for 29 years, and they have a 28-year-old daughter who also lives in Los Angeles.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Pre-requisites for this course:
Gurmukh request that all students read the following books & DVDs prior to the course:
- Beautiful, Bountiful, Blissful by Gurmukh
- Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- Gurmukh’s prenatal DVD. Please do the yoga set in it at least once!
I will be pregnant during the course, is that okay?
It’s more than okay, it’s wonderful! We can’t imagine a better blessing for you and your baby than to participate in this course!
I am still breast-feeding my child, can I bring her with me to class?
Unfortunately no. As much as we love children, the course is intensive and powerful and we prefer that it’s a grown-ups only experience for your sake and the sake of your fellow students. There are ample breaks throughout the day for your partner or childcare provider to bring baby over for breastfeeding.
Can I take this course if I’ve never taken Kundalini Yoga before?
Of course, but we highly highly recommend that you take a Kundalini Yoga class before arriving, even it’s just a DVD class, so that you have the experience of the energy!
Will I be certified to teach Prenatal Yoga by the end of the course?
You’ll be well on your way. The following requirements must be met before you receive your course certificate:
- Attendance at ten (10) Khalsa Way prenatal classes in your area. If there are not any Khalsa Way certified teachers in your area, you may use Gurmukh or Akal’s DVDs.
- Creation of ten (10) sample pregnancy yoga classes, with postures and a meditation included in each class outline.
- Submission of a DVD of you teaching a sample 15-minute yoga set
For 200 hour certified teachers the credits of the course can be applied towards the 500 hour certification, and is eligible for 85 hours CEU with Yoga Alliance. (Continuing Education Units are required to maintain your status as a Registered Yoga Teacher). After completing the 85-hour training, you are eligible to apply for the Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher designation through Yoga Alliance.